Thursday 4 January 2018

My Favourite Films of 2017


Yes, it's that time again - time to look back at the year that was and reminisce at the AWESOME movies that were released!!! Usually, I do a top 5 but this last year, try as I might, I just couldn't wittle it down. So in a break from tradition, here are my top 10 movies of 2017.


1) Dunkirk
This wasn't just an impressively constructed, compellingly cinematic story with a relentlessly immersive soundtrack. For me, it was a one-of-a-kind tangible experience. Watching it in IMAX was like being on that beach (special mention to the scene where the main character hits the sand while a string of bombs progressively explode towards him). It was like drowning in a sinking boat. It was like being in the cockpit of the spitfire. And for that, it gets my number one spot.



2) Blade Runner 2049
Another incredibly immersive IMAX experience. I came to the Blade Runner party fairly late, but early enough to be looking forwards to (and worrying about) this sequel  for the past couple of years. I am very VERY pleased to report that my expectations weren't just met, but exceeded. There was just the right amount of story. And not only was in perfect sync with the original tale but it was also not afraid to explore new ground. This film is radical in ways I find difficult to articulate (I've been trying to write a blog post on it for months) and breathtakingly beautiful.The sound design/music was simply overwhelming. But I think the thing that gets me the most excited when I think about this movie is Harrison Ford's performance. What a joy it was to see him sink his teeth into a role to a degree I haven't seen since The Fugitive.



3) Get Out
I wish more people would see this movie so I could talk about all of its creative and masterful layers of social commentary without fear of spoilers. So all I'm going to say here is SEE IT! It's absolutely brilliant. And while I feel it's a very important film for our times, it never ceases to be entertaining.



4) Baby Driver
Speaking of entertaining films, what a crowd pleasing home-run of a film is Baby Driver! Full of pithy, bad ass one liners and jaw-droppingly choreographed chase scenes, this was one utterly enjoyable night at the pictures.



5) Colossal
Colossal made my top 5 for two reasons...

  1. The premise which involves manifesting giant monsters overseas is absurd and yet, somehow, (in my personal opinion) this movie seems to pull it off without even trying.
  2. I love the issues of morality, abuse and toxic small-town thinking that are explored within its extraordinary, larger-than-life narrative.
Thumbs up!



6) Paddington 2
I can't think of the last time I saw a more charming, comedic, beautiful and sincere family movie (well... maybe since the first Paddington now that I think about it). As the credits rolls my kids got up to leave but I told them not to be in such a hurry and just enjoy the moment. True be told, I needed to buy time to regain composure and wipe away a few tears.

P.S. Welcome back Hugh Grant



7) Thor: Ragnarok

Thor: Ragnarok is 100% a Taika Waititi film. Also, Jeff Goldblum is in it. Need I say more?



8) The Big Sick
I wish more romantic comedies reached the same heights as the Big Sick. Wonderfully paced, laugh-out-loud funny, chemistry by the bucket loads and, most importantly, a story that is actually about something. I loved how gently and sincerely it dealt with the issues of cross-cultural relationships and the realities of being Pakistani in America while never losing sight of the romance (or comedy).




9) Logan
I wrote a very positive blog post about this movie a couple months back. It's a real testament to how amazing this year has been for movies that Logan comes in at number 9. I loved the gritty, brutal and fatalistic conclusion for such a beloved comic book franchise. Very brave and compelling film making.




10) The Lego Batman Movie
The laugh rate for this movie is intense. I also loved that my young kids and I were laughing at the same jokes. The Lego Batman Movie was everything I hoped it would be. I'm going to have to watch it again just to see all of the jokes and references I missed the first time around - it all happened so delightfully fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment